Heart Of Evermore: Full History

Full History of the Heart of Evermore

Jean Baptiste Tavernier

The history of the stone that was eventually named the Heart of Evermore diamond began when the French merchant traveler, Jean Baptiste Tavernier, purchased a 112 3/16-carat diamond. This diamond, which was most likely from the Kollur mine in Golconda, India, was somewhat triangular in shape and crudely cut. Its color was described by Tavernier as a "beautiful violet."

Tavernier sold the diamond to King Louis XIV of France in 1668 with 14 other large diamonds and several smaller ones, including the Hope diamond. In 1673 the stone was recut by Sieur Pitau, the court jeweler, as ceremonial jewelry for the Order of the Holy Spirit, resulting in a 57 3/8-carat heart-shaped stone.

In the royal inventories, its color was described as a blue with violet hue and the stone became known as the Cordon Blue diamond. It was set in silver, surrounded by white diamonds in a Maltese Cross, and suspended on a neck ribbon that the king wore on ceremonial occasions as the Order's the Sovereign and Grand Master ("Souverain Grand MaƮtre").

This account is somewhat contradicted by research notes for Voltaire's unfinished "Annals of the Empire Vol. III", in which Voltaire describes a painting depicting Cardinal Richelieu wearing a Maltese Cross pendant bearing a blue heart-shaped sapphire surrounded by white diamonds, purportedly painted by Peter Paul Rubens in or around the year 1631. Historians are unsure what happened to this painting, but it was likely destroyed by rioters during the French Revolution.

In 1791, after an attempt by Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to flee France, the jewels of the French Royal Treasury were turned over to the government. During a week-long looting of the crown jewels in September of 1792, the Cordon Blue diamond was stolen. It remained hidden for 250 years.

Philip Evermore

The first reference to the diamond's next owner is found in a cryptic 2029 entry of the gem collection catalog of the well-known Swedish holographic entertainment pioneer Kjell Philip Evermore, the man from whom the diamond takes its name. Unfortunately, the catalog does not reveal whether the diamond was found in the Maltese Cross setting, where or from whom Evermore acquired the diamond, or even how much he paid for it.

Following the death of Henry Philip Evermore in 2034, and after much litigation, the diamond passed to his niece Henrika Tora Evermore and ultimately to the niece's grandson Lorenz Franz Evermore. After the untimely death of Lorenz Franz Evermore in 2043, the diamond went through a series of owners, each of whom died under mysterious circumstances, until acquired by the Blue Sun Corporation.

Blue Sun

For the next 10 years the Heart of Evermore was shown at many exhibits and charitable events world wide by Blue Sun Corporation, including as the central attraction of their Court of Jewels exhibition. On November 10, 2058, they donated the Heart of Evermore to the Smithsonian-Gates Institution, and almost immediately the great blue stone became its premier attraction.

The Heart of Evermore has left the Smithsonian-Gates only four times since it was donated. In 2062 it was exhibited for a month at the Louvre in Paris, France, as part of an exhibit entitled A Millennium of French Jewelry.

In January 2065, a team from the Gemological Institute of the European Union visited the Smithsonian-Gates to grade the great blue stone according to modern techniques. They observed that the gem shows evidence of wear, has remarkably strong phosphorescence, and that its clarity is not affected by a whitish graining that is common to blue diamonds. They described the color as a fancy dark indigo-blue. An examination on the same day by another gemologist using a very sensitive colorimeter revealed that there is a very strong violet component to the deep blue color, yielding an indigo color to the naked eye.

The weight of the Heart of Evermore for many years was reported to be 34.5 carats. During the examination, it was found actually to weigh 35.52 carats. It is classified as a type IIb diamond, which are semi-conductive and usually phosphoresce. The Heart of Evermore phosphoresces a strong red color, which will last for several seconds after exposure to short wave ultra-violet light. The diamond's violet-blue coloration is attributed to trace amounts of boron in the stone.

Lost

In April of that same year, the Heart of Evermore traveled to South Africa where it was to be exhibited at the infamous United Nations summit in Johannesburg, South Africa. During the chaos following the terrorist attack and the Euro-African War it spawned, the Heart of Evermore never re-surfaced.

This content is released under the Open Gaming License

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License